Coronavirus - dedicated business support
With the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, many people are facing some uncertainty in both their personal and business lives.
The Government has announced a number of measures to support businesses and their employees during the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic.
We, alongside our colleagues at North Tyneside Business Forum, understand that there are concerns about how businesses will function throughout the Coronavirus (Covid-19) crisis; we have put together some guidance, FAQs & links to the Government website in an easy to access format. This can be accessed here
To support our services, our friendly business advisers from the North Tyneside Business Factory have joined forces with us and are on hand to help with anything not listed on this website.
Business Support Helpline
0191 516 6699
An experienced business adviser will be available between 9am and 5pm. Messages will be taken out of hours and an adviser will get back to you as soon as possible.
Phone lines are extremely busy however messages are being taken and responded to accordingly.
Local Authority Discretionary Grant Fund
This is an additional fund to the Small Business & Retail, Hospitality & Leisure Fund which is aimed at businesses who do not qualify for the Small Business Grant or the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant, which have relatively high, ongoing, fixed property-related costs, and which can demonstrate that they have suffered a significant fall in income due to the COVID-19 crisis. Unfortunately home based businesses are not eligible to apply for this scheme.
Download further guidance which outlines eligibility criteria, evidence requirements and information for applications below.
This scheme will close on Monday 3rd August 2020.
Business Recovery Programme
Fully funded diagnostic support and expert consultancy to help the business community in North Tyneside into recovery.
Support available will help businesses in a range of areas including:
- identify new markets for existing products, skills or equipment;
- provide business and financial advice to assist companies to trade out of difficulty or stop trading;
- resilience planning to ensure businesses are ready for future disruptions;
- ensuring retailers and other businesses are set up to trade online with e-commerce systems and support to develop & create online booking systems
- digital marketing health checks leading to a campaign
- property health checks including business rates bills, renegotiation of leases and more
- staff contracts, social distancing at work and HR support
- supporting to access tendering opportunities for public sector work
- sales and marketing techniques including engaging new clients, social media and press releases
To access this support, businesses MUST:
- Click on the button below and register on the Business Factory Online website as a trading business
- Complete an online review on the Business Diagnostic Tool to identify the required support (max 10 mins)
- At the end of the Diagnostic Review you will be asked if you would like to apply for capacity fund support, tick yes and complete the type of consultancy in the box provided
- Our adviser will then contact you to arrange the consultancy support
Any queries, please email email@example.com
Advice and financial assistance
North Tyneside Council's Business and Enterprise Team is committed to delivering a comprehensive programme to support your business. We offer business start-up advice, recruitment and training support, financial guidance and assistance with locating premises.
All business people, regardless of how much experience you have, benefit from someone to talk to about general business issues. If you are looking to expand or need advice on how to grow, we can help you achieve your objectives. We will listen to you and offer advice on issues such as how to access finance, employment issues and marketing.
North Tyneside Business Forum
North Tyneside Business Forum is the lead support organisation for the business community in North Tyneside; encouraging economic growth, employment, sustainability and corporate responsibility. Here to create a supportive network for businesses in North Tyneside and ensure local business is well connected and represented.
The Business Forum is managed by a group of local business people from across all sectors that have the needs of the local business community at heart. It's our committed aim to support all North Tyneside companies from the very smallest micro-business to the largest.
Telephone: 0191 643 6000
The Business Factory can help you to explore your abilities and look at the reality of starting a business.
Our team of advisers can work with you free of charge to build skills, provide expert knowledge to enable you to start a business. Services offered by the Business Factory include:
- guidance with your business plan
- help to find ideas and support to turn your passions, interests and skills into a business
- business ideas - there are hundreds listed on The Business Factory website
Whatever stage you are at with your business idea, from just thinking about it, to being ready to start, our advisers will help.
Telephone: 0191 605 3110
Town Centre Business Support
Town Centre business support
Members of the Business & Enterprise team regularly attend town centre Chamber meetings in North Shields, Wallsend and Whitley Bay. We can support your town centre business with advice on property, vacancy rates and footfall figures.
Payments to Suppliers
Currently the Authority has the capacity to pay suppliers and we are not experiencing any issues. Staff are on-site who are processing and paying invoices as normal. As you will appreciate the situation is constantly changing and the Authority is taking steps to ensure that staff who are involved in the payment of suppliers are equipped to work agilely.
To avoid sending paper copies of invoices suppliers can e-mail directly to the Authority using this e-mail address:
Any payment queries can be sent to the same e-mail address.
For the moment and for the foreseeable future it is business as normal, however in common with all local authorities we will be guided by central government.
Exit from the EU
The following information is provided to assist North Tyneside businesses with the UK's Exit from the EU
The UK left the European Union on 31st January 2020. We are now in a transition period until the end of 2020. During this time the UK and EU will negotiate additional arrangements.
The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period. There will be new rules for living, working, travelling and doing business in the UK and EU from 1 January 2021.
Businesses need to plan for Brexit and implement new procedures with the following activities most likely to be affected:
- Importing goods
- Exporting goods
- Selling to customers who export
- Sending staff to the EU to do business
- Employing EU staff
Further details are available on the government website.
Central government has also introduced a Brexit imports and exports helpline to offer information about importing and exporting goods after Brexit.
Call the helpline to find out about:
- customs declarations and procedures
- duties and tariffs
- importing and exporting different goods
- transporting goods to and from the EU
- product safety regulations
Telephone: 0300 3301 331
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
The Growth Hub Connectors are also available to talk through any Brexit issues.
Make an appointment or call 0191 561 5468
General Business advice for Brexit
Vanessa Murphy 0191 643 6401 | firstname.lastname@example.org
David Cunningham 00191 643 6406 | email@example.com