Street parties

Community Street Parties, Coronation of His Majesty The King and The Big Lunch

In the run up to the above events residents may wish to begin planning to celebrate by organising a street party. Street Parties can be an enjoyable way for neighbours to meet one another, to build community spirit in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

Organising a street party is now much easier thanks to the introduction of a new single form. This simple and easy-to-use form can only be used for small scale community events, street parties and fetes, events that are organised by and for residents in one or two small streets.

Grants available to celebrate important national events (England)

The National Lottery has announced that this year, funding will also be available through the Awards for All England scheme to help communities celebrate important national events such as the Coronation of His Majesty the King, the Eurovision Song Contest and the 75th anniversary of Windrush. Awards for All will also continue to make grants of between £300 and £10,000 for up to one year to local community and voluntary organisations for existing or new projects, events, and activities that aim to build strong relationships, improve community spaces, support personal potential, and assist with challenges caused by the cost-of-living crisis and the aftermath of the Covid-19 pandemic. Applications can be submitted at any time.

Preparing for your street party

For anyone proposing to organise a small-scale community event it is crucial to plan early. You should think about what your community wants to achieve from such an event. You should get in touch with the Council’s Events Team using the following email address as early as possible, and at least 6 weeks in advance of the event.

The Council will then be able to determine whether or not the event does qualify as a small-scale community event, whether or not the event requires some form of insurance policy to be in place, and they will be able to liaise with officers within the Council’s Highways Department, Licensing and Environmental Health Teams.

Consultation with neighbours and residents

It is the responsibility of the street party organisers to consult with all residents in the street who will be affected by the event. The organisers should consider any objections or comments raised by those persons who feel that they may be adversely affected by the event and should attempt to remediate any fears or concerns raised.

It is recommended that street parties should finish at a reasonable time 9pm at the latest.

Street Party application form

Further advice and the new street party application form can be found at the Big Lunch website.

Related documents

Larger events

The street party application form does not extend to larger public events that include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of regulated entertainment.

If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public or charge a fee to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). A TEN is a type of temporary licence and costs £21 from your local authority Licensing Team.

If raffle tickets are sold prior to the event with prizes worth more than £500 additional consent will also be required. Similarly, large scale events attracting more than 499 people will require an entirely different process.

If an organiser needs a TEN or would like to hold a large-scale public event, they should contact the Council’s Licensing Team for further information and advice.

The main differences between a small street party and larger public events are:

Large and small events
Street parties and fetes Larger public events
For residents/neighbours only Anyone can attend
Publicity only to residents External publicity (newspapers etc)

No licences normally necessary if
music incidental and no selling is involved

Licence usually needed
No formal risk assessment needed Insurance needed
Insurance not usually required Risk assessment common
Self-organised Professional / skilled organisers

Playing out on your street

If you’d like to meet your neighbours more regularly than just an occasional street party, how about closing your street every few weeks to allow children to play and neighbours to meet? Play.Meet.Street North Tyneside can help you do this.

Street play sessions are short, stewarded road closures, giving children the chance to play safely near home, but also making the street feel safer and friendlier for everyone. Parents or carers are always responsible for their own children’s safety and behaviour, as normal.

Play.Meet.Street North Tyneside supports residents every step of the way, from consulting with neighbours, to liaising with the council, and planning the actual street play session. To find out more, have a look at our website or Facebook page or contact us directly on