Vehicle Access Crossings

Residents who would like to drive across the footway to park on their property are required by national highway legislation to have a vehicle access crossing.

This typically consists of a dropped kerb and ramp at the road’s edge plus some footway strengthening works if the vehicle will be driven on flagstones.

In advance of any works, permission for the vehicle access crossing must be granted by North Tyneside Council’s Highways team.

Please find below a residents' guide to the application process; the full Vehicle Accessing Crossing policy can be found beneath it.

To apply for a vehicle access crossing, please contact North Tyneside Council’s Highways team, Tel: (0191) 643 4815 or email: