Further localised vaccination services are available to support North Tyneside residents after concerns in the rise of positive cases from the COVID-19 variant first identified in India.
Already there are 16,000 vaccination appointments available in NHS vaccination services across the borough at 11 community and pharmacy locations.
Now further mobile and walk in vaccination services are being provided for people who have not yet had their first vaccine in an effort to provide as much protection for local people against COVID-19 variants of concern.
People who are aged 40 and over and have not yet had their first vaccine, and who live or work in North Tyneside, are being encouraged to either book an appointment via the NHS National Booking Service 119 or online, to use walk-in services, or to attend mobile services.
People under 40 are not able to use the mobile service so should book their appointment via the National Booking Service or use walk-in services. This is so they can attend a vaccination service which has vaccine appropriate for their age group.
It is important to note that people who have had their first vaccine should not attend these surge services and are asked to keep their existing second dose appointment.
To date around 40 confirmed cases of the variant have been identified and public health measures put in place. This figure includes people Test and Trace has identified through enhanced contact tracing who were already self-isolating.
As more people come forward as a result of the call for enhanced testing, case numbers are expected to increase across the borough.
Surge testing in North Tyneside is also underway with well over 1,000 people tested since last week.
You do not need an appointment to attend mobile and walk-in services, however if you have your NHS number that would be helpful.
You can find this on any letter or document you have received from the NHS, including prescriptions, test results and hospital referral letters or via the NHS App.
COVID-19 Vaccination services in North Tyneside
Bookable Vaccination services
- Booked via NHS 119 or online
- Anyone eligible
- 11 locations across North Tyneside various times booked in advance
- Walk in - no appointment needed
- People aged over 40
- Live or work in North Tyneside
- First vaccinations only
- Thursday 27th May 4pm – 6pm North Shields, Town Centre, Northumberland Square
- Friday 28th May 9am – 6pm – North Shields, Town Centre, Northumberland Square
- Saturday 29th May 10am – 5pm – Morrisons, Killingworth
Walk in vaccination
- Walk in – no appointment needed
- For anyone aged over 30 (current eligible groups)
- Live or work in North Tyneside
- First vaccinations only – no second doses available
- All run from 11am to 1pm and 5pm to 7pm
- From Thursday 27th May – The Cedarwood Trust, The Avenue, Avon Ave, North Shields NE29 7QT
- From Friday 28th May - Pharmacy2U, Village Hotel, 10 The Silverlink North - NE27 0BY
- From Monday 31st May - Collingwood Pharmacy2U - Unit 13-14 Collingwood Centre, Preston North Road, Tynemouth - NE29 9QR
Dr Richard Scott, Chair of NHS North Tyneside CCG, said: “If you are eligible and not yet had your first vaccine there’s never been a better time to get vaccinated with lots of ways to make sure you can easily get one.
“We’re urging people to take this opportunity to protect themselves, their family and friends from this new variant of concern.
“Vaccinating as many people as possible should reduce the levels of local infections too.
“Don’t forget that covid can affect anyone at any age and some people can suffer serious complications if they become infected.”
So even if you think your risk is low, there’s still a chance you can catch it and pass it on to people around you, even if you have no symptoms.”
The NHS National Booking Service https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccinati... call 119 between 7am and 11pm.
More appointments become available regularly so please keep checking back.
You will only be offered an appointment at a location using vaccine products that are recommended for your age and circumstances.